Monday 20 September 2010

it's no big deal Gillian


Eight days after you moved out, Gillian - the very next Saturday to be exact - three people tried to pick me up.  This is whathappened.

Dan dragged me along to this fancy law firm do.  I arrived at the party feeling that peculiar mix of confidence and self-loathing I feel when I’m wearing a suit.  The place was crawling with classy types, which didn’t help, but with the words: “You say you like to dance, I think I'll take a chance, Ooh, baby, maybe it's time for romance,” from the immortal classic, Ladies Room, (From the album Rock ‘n’Roll Over. Yes I know you hate Kiss.) tripping through my head, I thought bugger being a sad tosser, tonight I’m going to be fabulous.  And I was.  So much so that three of the classy ones thought I was interesting enough to want to go out with. Three of them.In teh one night.






One stunner of about 30, an older woman who, had I met her when I was about 20, could have fulfilled all my older woman fantasies and a young male article clerk, who as he was leaving, pulled me to one side and whispered, “ I don’t suppose you’re at all gay, are you?”

Of course I didn’t follow through on any of them, although I slipped the girls’ cards in to my wallet.  I was still too raw and, having never been great at one night stands, didn’t fancy a quick one, besides having been single only a week, bachelorhood hadn’t set in properly yet, but it does tell you something doesn’t it?

“What precisely does it tell you Bill?” you’d say.

Well it tells me, that unless they were absolute desperadoes, and unless Dan paid them to make a fuss of me, three people, three totally separate strangers, on the same night wanted me, which at the time, made your not wanting me seem a lot less of a big deal than it did beforehand.

0 comments:

Post a Comment